Thursday 15 July 2010

Mama lion

I was 5 or 6. In the playground at break time, some boys started picking on me. I am not sure why or how, but I remember their cruel words and kicks. When my mum collected me after school I was in tears. I told her what had happened she asked me to point out who had done this to me. My mother's love was fierce like a mama lion. She had a temper. My mum found these boys and told them never to touch me again. They didn't. I remember her holding me, my legs wrapped round her waist, my arms round her neck, feeling so safe and protected.

And now I have my own child to protect. Each night after feeding, I pick my son up in the dark of the early hours and carry him back to bed, his arms wrapped round me and his head buried in my neck. This moment is beautiful. I would do anything for my cub.
lioness on black
Originally uploaded by The Kruger Kid

No comments:

Post a Comment